1. Beans & Lentils- Since they are both high in protein & fiber they will help to stabilize your blood sugar levels and keep you full. You can add them to almost anything! Soups, salads, casseroles or even just as a side dish tossed with dressing. Low fat variety of course
2. Wild Fish- Naturally high in omega 3 fatty acids foods increase insulin sensitivity, the results equal an increase in muscle mass and decrease in belly fat.
3. Blueberries- Most fruits are great snacks on any meal plan since they are packed with vitamins and fibre. Fiber may actually prevent some of the fat you eat from being absorbed because fiber pulls fat through the digestive tract. The reason why blueberries are an even better choice is because they are so high in antioxidants, and they are a lot cheaper than other high antioxidant fruits such as the acai berry. Add fresh blueberries to your cereal, smoothie or yogurt.
4. Chilles- A compound found in chiles called capsaicin has a thermogenic effect, meaning it causes the body to burn extra calories for 20 minutes after you eat them. Also since they pack heat it not easy to gulp them down, eating your food slowly gives the stomach time to tell the brain its full.
5. Plain Yogurt- The combination of carbs, protein and fat keep you feeling satified and stave off feeling of hunger. Try to choose yogurts that don’t contain added sugar (other than whats contained in the fruit)artificial sweetners or gelatin- this is actually harder to find them you might realize so be sure to read your labels! Eat more by substituting plain yogurt for mayo, sour cream, or cream in your recipes.
6. Quinoa- This ultimate grain is a complete protein and glutton free! It also has tons of fiber, replace plain rice or french fries with this amazing side (also great to serve under beans and veggies just toss with salsa and plain yogurt.)
7. Avocados- Even though avocados are high in fat it is the healthy monounsaturated type that our bodies crave. They keep you full as well as help to keep skin, hair and nails healthy and strong. Replace typical swandwich spreads such as mayo or cheese with mashed avocado.