June 21st is the first day of summer. Somewhat less grandly, it’s also National Peaches & Cream Day.
We’re always happy to have peach ice cream, peaches and whipped cream on waffles, or the centuries-old classic, sliced peaches with fresh cream: a pour-over or lightly whipped by hand.
Today, we add something new to the list: peaches and cream shortcake.
If you prefer, substitute hand-beaten (by which we mean, electric mixer-beaten) whipped cream for the vanilla ice cream.
Prep time is 15 minutes, cook time is 25 minutes.
Ingredients For 6 Servings
1. PREHEAT the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or butter the pan well.
2. COMBINE the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the cubed butter and cut it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until butter is size of small peas. Add the buttermilk and mix until the dough begins to come together.
3. DUMP the dough out onto a clean surface and knead a few times to incorporate all of dry bits (do not over-handle). Pat the dough to about 1 inch thick. Use a 3- or 4-inch round cutter to cut the dough. Place the rounds on the prepared sheet pan. Brush with the egg wash.
4. BAKE until golden, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
5. PREHEAT the grill to medium low heat. Halve the peaches and remove the pits. Brush with melted butter and place them cut side-down on the grill. Grill 3-4 minutes until the peaches have grill marks and have softened somewhat.
6. TRANSFER the peaches to a plate and slice each half into thirds. Drizzle with maple syrup.
7. SERVE: Slice the shortcake biscuits in half. Top with ice cream and grilled peaches.
If you want grilled peaches only, here’s the recipe from Bobby Flay | Food Network.