Here’s a fusion recipe for Cinco de Mayo: Mexican Chicken Lasagna. It substitutes tortillas for lasagna noodles, enchilada sauce for pasta sauce, Monterey Jack for mozzarella.
It’s lots of fun.
Thanks to Pampered Chef for the recipe.
Ingredients For 8 Servings
1. PLACE the cream cheese in a bowl and microwave on HIGH for 30-45 seconds or until very soft. Add the cilantro and 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) of the Monterey Jack cheese; mix well.
2. CHOP the onion and set aside. Spread 2/3 cup (150 mL) of the enchilada sauce over bottom of baking pan. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce into a mixing bowl andset aside.
3. ASSEMBLE the lasagna. Dip four of the tortillas into the enchilada sauce in mixing bowl using tongs, and arrange over sauce in the baking pan, overlapping as necessary. Scoop half of the cream cheese mixture over the tortillas, and spread.
4. TOP with 1 cup (250 mL) of the chicken and one-third of the onion. Repeat the layers one time. Dip the remaining tortillas into sauce and arrange over second layer. Top with the remaining chicken and onion. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over lasagna and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) Monterey Jack cheese.
5. MICROWAVE, covered, on HIGH for 12-15 minutes or until the center is hot. Let stand 10 minutes, then sprinkle with additional chopped cilantro. Cut into squares and serve using a spatula.
*If desired, 1 bottle (22 oz/650 mL) medium salsa combined with 1/2 cup (125 mL) water can be substituted for the enchilada sauce.