The name of this dish may sound like an April Fool’s Day joke: A mousse of chocolate and blue cheese.
We first had the chocolate-blue cheese combination 13 years ago.
It was a great moment in modern truffles when Lillie Belle Farms blended Rogue Creamery’s Smokey Blue blue cheese into its excellent chocolate (here’s our review).
They remain a personal favorite of ours, and you can buy them from Lillie Belle.
You can also purchase a wedge or wheel of Smokey Blue Cheese from Rogue Creamery.
Now onto the recipe: a sophisticated, delicious riff on chocolate mousse.
Thanks to Castello Cheese for the recipe.
If you want to make the sorbet quenelle shown in photo #1, here’s how.
Otherwise, a mini scoop will do.
Ingredients For 8 Servings
1. GENTLY MELT the chocolate and crumbled blue cheese in a bowl atop a double boiler.
2. BEAT the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl, to a light airy consistency, approximately 5 minutes.
3. BEAT the egg whites to a soft peak in a separate medium bowl.
4. BEAT the whipping cream to a soft peak in another separate bowl.
5. FOLD the blue cheese mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then gently fold in the whipped cream mixture, then fold in the egg whites.
6. POUR into 8 individual dessert dishes; top with the diced mango and serve with a scoop of mango sorbet if desired.