There’s no saffron rice in this paella; but white rice rice is augmented with sliced red potatoes, and turmeric adds a yellow tinge to the rice and potatoes.
Serve it for a hearty dinner or for crowd gatherings.
The recipe was created by Black Gold Farms, fourth-generation family farm and grower of potatoes.
The recipe uses chorizo as the protein, mixed with onion, garlic, peas, bell pepper and cilantro.
You can tailor the recipe as you like, adding other paella proteins such as chicken, clams, mussels and shrimp.
Prep time is 10 minutes, cook time is 45 minutes.
Ingredients For 6 Servings
1. HEAT half of the oil in a high-sided skillet or large saucepan set over medium heat. Cook the sausage for about 5 minutes or until golden and crispy. Transfer to a plate. In same pan…
2. HEAT the remaining oil. Cook the onion, red pepper, garlic, turmeric and smoked paprika for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in the rice, salt and pepper; cook for about 3 minutes or until well coated.
3. STIR in the wine; cook for about 5 minutes or until almost no liquid remains in pan.
4. ADD 2-1/2 cups broth, the tomatoes and bay leaves; bring to boil. Stir in the potatoes; bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes or until rice and potatoes are tender, adding additional broth as the liquid is absorbed.
5. STIR in the peas in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaves; top with chorizo and cilantro. Serve with optional lemon wedges (a squirt before eating brightens the dish).