Whether you want to bake something special for your work colleagues, bring something to your Thanksgiving hosts, or make a treat for your family that can wait in the freezer.
Both the Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Cake (photo #1) and the Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bread (photo #3) can be dressed up with whipped cream or served at brunch.
This bundt (or tube cake, if you prefer) The pumpkin and pumpkin-friendly spices (cloves, cinnamon, allspice) meld surprisingly well with the bits of chocolate.
It’s rich enough to serve unfrosted, but you can add some whipped cream or ice cream for dessert.
Prep time is 10-15 minutes, bake time is 1 hour, 10 minutes.
NOTE: If you have pumpkin pie spice blend, you can use 1-1/2 teaspoons instead of the separate measures of allspice, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
Thanks to our friends at King Arthur Flour—your source for the best ingredients—for this recipe.
1. PREHEAT the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10″ Bundt or tube pan.
2. BEAT the eggs in a large bowl until foamy. Stir in the pumpkin, oil and bran cereal; combine well. In another bowl…
3. SIFT together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix gently, until just combined. Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
4. SPOON the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 70 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. REMOVE the cake from the oven and cool the in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack before slicing. (Don’t slice until you’re ready to serve.)
This Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bread is a healthier option for your sweet tooth. It was created as a better-for-you option by Created by Bucket List Tummy, for the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.
That being said, we enjoyed it with some Philadelphia Whipped Cream Cheese Spread.
Made with whole wheat flour and oat flour, the loaf is soft and fluffy. It’s less sweet than cake, but is studded with chocolate chips.
Prep time is 10-15 minutes, bake time is 40 minutes.
1. PREHEAT the oven to 350°F and grease 9″ x5″ inch loaf pan.
2. ADD the egg, mashed sweet potatoes, coconut oil, Greek yogurt and maple syrup to a bowl. Whisk until combined. In another bowl…
3. ADD the whole wheat flour, oat flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix the dry into the wet ingredients, folding the chocolate chips in last. The batter should be thick.
4. ADD the batter to the loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. LET cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing. If you won’t be eating it immediately, wait to slice until serving time.