August is National Sandwich Month.
Usually, we head to our Sandwich Glossary and pick a different type of sandwich each time we make one.
Go beyond the everyday tuna or grilled cheese to something more celebratory, bánh mì or a Croque Monsieur?
With the beautiful summer tomatoes at hand, we’re adding them to every type of sandwich.
Here, an open-faced sandwich for breakfast or brunch—although you can have one any time.
Think of it as a variation of Eggs Benedict or a sophisticated Egg McMuffin.
If you’d rather have a more conventional sandwich, make a:
Ingredients For 4 Open-Face Sandwiches
1. THINLY SLICE the tomatoes and mozzarella. Lightly toast the English muffins (this can be done while you continue prepping).
2. POACH the eggs: Add a few inches of water to a cooking pot and bring to a light simmer. Add the white vinegar and swirl lightly.
3. CRACK the eggs and slowly guide them into the swirling water. Allow them to cook for 2-3 minutes (the whites should be firm but flexible when removed).
4. REMOVE the eggs from the pot with a slotted spoon and carefully air-dry them on paper towels.
5. TOP one side of the toasted English muffins with a slice of mozzarella, tomato and poached egg. Add the basil, and lightly drizzle with balsamic. Garnish with a grind of black pepper.
It’s more than salad. How about Caprese sandwiches and pasta?