A few years ago, we created a list for National Honey Month, September: 30 ways to use honey.
It included drizzling honey as an ice cream topping, but it did not include making honey ice cream.
Today, we remedy that oversight with this “gourmet” recipe for Honey Crème Fraîche Ice Cream With A Cherry Swirl, from Vermont Creamery.
Crème Fraîche is a French-style cultured cream that is more delicate and elegant than its American counterpart, sour cream.
The rich taste and cooking advantage of crème fraîche (it doesn’t curdle when added to heated recipes, as yogurt does) bring a depth of flavor and a smooth texture to baked goods, dips, sauces and soups.
Plus the ice cream recipe below, of course!
> What Is Creme Fraiche
Ingredients For The Cherry Swirl
1. COMBINE the cherries, 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon juice and pinch of salt in a small saucepan. Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and mashing the cherries until jammy. Stir 1 teaspoon of lemon zest into the mixture. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
2. PLACE a mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water. Nest the medium bowl in the larger bowl filled with ice water. Set aside. In another medium bowl…
3. WHISK together the egg yolks, honey, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside.
4. COMBINE the whole milk, whipping cream and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until hot but not boiling. Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the yolk mixture.
5. RETURN the mixture to the saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the temperature reaches 170°F. Pour through the strainer into the bowl nested in ice water. Stir in the lemon zest. Whisk occasionally until the custard is cooled down. Cover and chill completely.
6. CHURN according to the ice cream machine manufacturer’s directions. When churned and frozen, gently fold in the crème fraîche (the crème fraîche will freeze in small pieces). Gently swirl in the cherry jam. Freeze until ready to serve.
The post RECIPE: Honey-Cherry Ice Cream For National Honey Month first appeared on THE NIBBLE Blog – Adventures In The World Of Fine Food.