Make heart-shaped potato chips for Valentine’s Day, or any other romantic occasion. Beet juice makes them pink-ish.
The recipe must be prepped the night before. Also:
1. USE a mandoline to thinly slice the potatoes. Punch a heart shape out of each slice with the cookie cutter.
2. PLACE all the heart-shaped pieces in a colander, add the salt and toss. Let the heart-shaped pieces sit about 30 minutes. (This brings some of the water out of the potatoes so they can better absorb the color from the beets.)
3. PUT the beets with their liquid into a blender. Process until you have a smooth purée.
4. RINSE the potato slices and pat dry very thoroughly with paper towels. Put the potato slices into a bowl or plastic container, pour the beet purée over them, and stir gently to make sure every slice of potato is in contact with the beets. Refrigerate overnight. The next day…
5. REMOVE the potato slices from the container. Rinse in a colander and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
6. POUR 3 inches of oil into a heavy pot or saucepan. Heat the oil to about 350°F. Drop in a few chips at a time and fry until golden around the edges and crisp. Remove the chips with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt while still warm.
The post FOOD FUN: Heart-Shaped Potato Chips Recipe first appeared on THE NIBBLE Blog – Adventures In The World Of Fine Food.