It’s the first day of spring, so here’s a spring salad dish: smoked salmon with spring greens and a sprightly Meyer lemon vinaigrette (Meyer lemons are an early spring fruit).
The vernal equinox (spring equinox) occurs roughly around March 20th each year. In the Northern Hemisphere, the sun crosses the equator, moving north.
It marks the beginning of spring: longer days and shorter nights.
You can celebrate with a spring cocktail, and lighter spring dishes like the salad recipe below.
While global transport and greenhouses put these greens in our markets year-round, these are the ___ greens that people looked forward to each spring.
You can buy a bag of Spring Mix in the salad department; a combination of baby lettuces and often arugula, baby spinach and baby chard.
If you want to put together your own spring mix, start with baby lettuces or butter lettuces, and add on. Here’s a spring “menu”:
Preparwation time is 15 minutes.
Ingredients For 3 Servings
1. WASH the salad ingredients, as needed.
2. STEAM the potatoes (do not peel). When tender, remove and set aside to cool; then slice in half.
3. MAKE the vinaigrette. The recipe is below. The Meyer lemon substitutes for vinegar. Meyer lemons are less acidic (sweeter) than convention store lemons—the Eureka and the Lisbon (check out the different types of lemons).
4. PLATE 4-6 slices of salmon, fanned, on one side of the plate. Sprinkle with chives and capers.
5. DRESS the greens just before serving and toss with the salad greens.
Ingredients For 4-6 Servings
1. WHISK the vinaigrette ingredients together. Grate the optional zest into the dressing (note: grate the zest before juicing the lemon).
2. OPTIONALLY, use the “shaking” technique: Add the ingredients to a jar with a lid and shake until blended.
Here are uses for leftover vinaigrette.
*Baby potatoes are harvested before they are fully grown, to keep them small and tender. They thus have a sweeter flavor. Creamer potatoes are particular varieties that are also harvested before they mature. They are generally either Yukon Gold potatoes or red potatoes, called gold creamers or red creamers.
The post RECIPE: Smoked Salmon Spring Salad with Spring Greens & Chives first appeared on THE NIBBLE Blog – Adventures In The World Of Fine Food.