June is National Turkey Month; the third Sunday is National Turkey Day—this year, June 20th.
This year it coincides with Father’s Day; and tonight,the official beginning of summer (the exact time of the summer solstice this year is 11:32 p.m. Eastern Time).
We’ve been saving this Turkey Nachos recipe from Chef Ingrid Hoffmann for today: nachos made with ground turkey. (By the way, National Nachos Day is November 6th—another reason to make it.)
We’re showing Chef Ingrid’s complete from-scratch recipe, which increases the “better” factor with ground lean turkey, whole wheat nachos and low fat versions of the cheese and sour cream. (Truth to tell, we used the conventional versions.)
Speaking of pico de gallo, here are:
Ingredients For 4 Servings
For The Pico De Gallo
1. MAKE the pico de gallo. Combine the tomatoes, onion, jalapeños, cilantro, lime juice and oil in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
2. MAKE the filling. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and the chili power, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano and salt. Cook, stirring often, breaking up the turkey with the side of a spoon, until the turkey begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the water and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
3. PREHEAT the oven to 400°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with aluminum foil.
4. SPREAD the tortilla wedges on the baking sheets and spray with the nonstick spray. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
5. SPRAY a large, shallow baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread half of the tortilla wedges in the baking dish, and top with half of the cheese, half of the turkey mixture, half of the beans, and half of the olives. Top with remaining tortilla wedges, and repeat with the remaining cheese, turkey mixture, beans and olives. Bake until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.
6. REMOVE from oven and sprinkle with half of the pico de gallo and the avocado. Spoon a large dollop of the sour cream on top of the nachos. Sprinkle with the scallions. Serve immediately, with the remaining pico de gallo on the side.
> THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF SALSA
The post Turkey Nachos Recipe For National Turkey Day first appeared on The Nibble Webzine Of Food Adventures.
The Nibble Webzine Of Food Adventures