July 5th is National Graham Cracker Day.
For those who enjoyed s’mores over July 4th weekend, here’s another recipe that combines graham crackers and chocolate.
“These bite-sized treats,” says recipe author Julie B., “include two sticks of butter and TONS of candy bar flavor. They include gooey caramel, peanut butter, and rich chocolate on top of a buttery graham cracker base.”
We think they’re like Snickers (chocolate, caramel, peanuts) on a graham cracker base; hence the name Candy Bar Cuties.
Thanks to Go Bold With Butter for the recipe. It took second place in a recent Holiday Cookie Recipe Contest—but there’s no reason not to enjoy them all year long.
You’ll need mini muffin tins and cup liners.
Prep time is 1 hour, cook time is 15 minutes.
1. PREHEAT the oven to 350°F.
2. CREAM the butter in a large bowl, using an electric mixer. Add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
3. COMBINE the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly add these dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix with mixer until incorporated. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
4. SCOOP rounded balls of dough using a cookie dough scoop (approximately 1-1/4 inches in diameter), and place one in each muffin cup, pressing evenly into bottom of cups.
BAKE for 12 -15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool the cookies in the muffin pans on a wire rack. Do not remove the cookies from muffin pans.
5. MICROWAVE on HIGH in a microwave-safe bowl the caramel squares, peanut butter and 1/4 cup of the cream. Heat for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes, stirring after each minute. When the caramels are completely melted when stirred, add 1/4 cup chopped peanuts and stir to incorporate.
6. TOP each cookie in the tins with 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons of the warm caramel-peanut butter mixture, spreading it almost to the edges with back of spoon. (If the caramel does not spread easily, stir in additional cream, 1 teaspoon at a time, until spreadable, reheating as needed).
Set aside until the caramel is set, about 10-15 minutes. In the meantime…
7. HEAT the semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips in a medium-size, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 30 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving, stirring every 10-15 seconds, until the chocolate is melted and can be stirred smooth.
8. SPOON about 2 teaspoons chocolate over the caramel layer, spreading to the edges, completely covering the caramel and cookie layers. Immediately sprinkle with the remaining chopped peanuts.
9. REFRIGERATE 25-30 minutes or until the chocolate is set. Carefully pop the cookies out of pans one at a time, pushing up from the bottom of each muffin cup.