Combine National Pasta Month (October), National Pasta Day (October 17th), National Pumpkin Day and Month (October and October 26th), and National Mushroom Day (October 15th) and lasagna, and you get a reason to make this delicious Pumpkin Mushroom Lasagna. National Lasagna Day is July 29th; but in our opinion, the weather is too hot for a baked pasta dish.
Here’s a recipe from the Wheat Foods Council, plus more pumpkin pasta recipes below.
RECIPE: PUMPKIN MUSHROOM LASAGNA
Ingredients For 6 Servings
Cooking spray to coat pan
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
½ teaspoon salt, divided
1½ cups canned solid–pack pumpkin (a.k.a. pumpkin purée)
½ cup half and half
2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dry sage)
9 oven ready (no boiling required) lasagna noodles
1 cup ricotta cheese (reduced fat O.K.)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese (part-skim O.K.)
¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
1. PREHEAT the oven to 375°. Lightly coated an 11-x-7 inch baking dish with cooking spray
2. HEAT the oil in a small skillet; add the onion and sauté until tender. Add mushrooms and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for about 2 minutes until mushrooms are heated through. Set aside.
3. MAKE the pumpkin sauce: Combine the pumpkin, half and half, sage, pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
4. SPREAD ½ cup of the pumpkin sauce in the baking dish. Top with 3 noodles (noodles will overlap slightly). Spread ½ cup pumpkin sauce to edges of noodles.
5. TOP with half of the mushroom mixture, ½ cup ricotta cheese, ½ cup mozzarella, and ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Repeat the layers and top with the remaining noodles and pumpkin sauce.
6. COVER and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
This recipe is © copyright 2019 by Wheat Foods Council.
> THE HISTORY OF LASAGNA
> THE HISTORY OF PASTA
> THE HISTORY OF BAKED PASTA
Dutch Oven Pumpkin Lasagna
Mac & Cheese Baked In A Pumpkin
Orecchiette With Pumpkin & Sausage
Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Pumpkin Pizza With Bacon, Apples & Sage
Pumpkin Pizza With Goat Cheese
Pumpkin Soup With Bacon, Sage & Gnocchi
Ravioli Lasagna With Pumpkin Sauce
Spicy Pappardelle With Pumpkin
Spicy Pumpkin Carbonara
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES FOR PASTA & PIZZA
 A harvest lasagna with pumpkin and mushrooms (photo © Wheat Foods Council).
 Here’s how to make homemade pumpkin purée (photo © Foodal).
 Use your favorite fresh mushrooms. These are basic white button mushrooms (photo © Alleksana | Pexels).
 Sage leaves (photo © Good Eggs).