Pizza is no longer a lunch and dinner mainstay; it’s also for breakfast dinner dessert. This sweet pizza celebrates National Caramel Apple Day: It’s topped with both caramel and sliced apples. Instead of ricotta, there’s creamy mascarpone, and a garnish of toasted with crispy pecans. There are more recipes below, for both caramel apples and dessert pizza.
The apples on this pizza are not baked. They are added to the pre-baked crust, so they’ll be just as crisp as a regular caramel apple.
October 31st is both National Caramel Apple Day and National Candy Apple Day.
We toasted the pecans before chopping them. It’s an extra step, but easy to do. Toasting intensifies the richness of the nuts, and making them crunchier. Here’s how to toast nuts and seeds.
1. COMBINE the flour mix and yeast packet in a large mixing bowl with 1-1/4 cups lukewarm water. Stir with a fork until the dough begins to form. Knead by hand for 3 minutes, or until the dough is soft and smooth.
2. TRANSFER to a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. (After this step, you can refrigerate the dough for use within 1-3 days.) While dough rises…
3. MAKE the caramel sauce. Combine the brown sugar, butter, and cream in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring continuously until the butter melts completely. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. REMOVE the caramel from the heat and add the vanilla and salt, stirring until smooth. Pour the caramel sauce into a glass jar to cool to room temperature.
5. PREHEAT the oven to 450°F. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Form the pizza by hand into 8-inch rounds on two lightly oiled baking pans. Bake for 14 minutes, until cooked through and golden. Remove the pizzas from the oven.
6. PULSE the mascarpone and maple syrup in a food processor until smooth. Spread the mixture over each pizza. Combine the sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle them over the mascarpone.
7. LAYER the apple slices over the pizzas. Drizzle them with caramel sauce and top with pecans. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.