June 21st is National Peaches & Cream Day. In older times, before ice cream and whipped cream were first created, the recipe was obvious: Slice fresh, ripe peaches and pour over some sweet, heavy cream. If you need a recipe, here it is.
The classic combination of peaches and cream is as simple as it sounds: peaches, lightly sweetened and simmered, with a splash of heavy cream (photo #2).
If you’d like more of a constructed dish, photo #1 shows peaches that have been simmered and mixed with heavy cream. The recipe follows.
> There are more peaches and cream recipes below—everything from cheesecake to shortcake.
> The history of peaches.
This recipe is adapted from one by Chef John. If the peaches are very sweet, you can cut down on the sugar.
1. CUT each peach in half along the seam, twist it apart, and remove the pit. Peel and slice the peaches, cutting the slices in half to get roughly 2 cups of sliced peaches.
2. BRING the sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil until a syrup forms, about 3 minutes. Stir in the peaches until coated. Bring the syrup back to a light simmer, about 1 minute. Immediately remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a bowl.
3. TRANSFER the peaches into a large bowl using a slotted spoon. Pour in the heavy cream and stir to combine.
4. DIVIDE the mixture between serving glasses, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely chilled and cream has absorbed all the peach flavor, at least 3 hours.
This layered dessert (photo #3) is from Eric Cobb, Executive Pastry Chef at The Highland Dallas and Knife Dallas restaurant.
His Peaches & Cream recipe is made from peach mousse with peach gelée, lemon sponge cake, peach sorbet, vanilla cream, and compressed peach salsa.
You can make your own adaptation with:
1. LAYER the ingredients in a glass dish, wine goblet, Martini glass, or another vessel: cake, peaches, cookie crumbs, preserves, ice cream, whipped cream. You can change the order of the layers as you prefer.
2. GARNISH with more cookie crumbs and serve.
†Slice a pound cake in half, fill it with chopped fresh peaches and whipped cream. Optionally, top it with more whipped cream and peaches.