Most of us think of waffles as sweet: with maple syrup and berries for breakfast, or perhaps with ice cream and chocolate sauce for dessert. But for National Waffle Day, August 24th, we’ve decided that this savory waffles recipe hits the spot.
This recipe, from Gelson’s Markets, tops waffles with ricotta and grilled onions. They’re delicious for brunch, lunch, or dinner.
The waffles are topped with smoky, lightly charred onions and mushrooms plus tangy pickled mushrooms. The garnishes are lemony ricotta and microgreens.
Pair them with a crisp white wine or a rosé.
> The different types of waffles. How many have you had?
> The history of mushrooms.
This recipe celebrates onions in three ways: grilled scallions, pearl onions, and pickled red onions. You can purchase the pickled onions, or use this one-hour pickling technique.
No time to make waffles from scratch? Frozen waffles work!
1. MAKE the lemon ricotta: In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. GRILL the vegetables: Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Toss the green onions with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
3. GRILL the scallions, turning periodically, until tender and slightly charred with visible grill marks, around 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a large plate.
4. MIX the mushrooms and pearl onions with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
5. GRILL the mushrooms and pearl onions until tender and slightly charred with visible grill marks, around 10 minutes. Transfer to the plate with the scallions. While the mushrooms and onions grill…
6. COOK the waffles. Divide the ricotta, grilled vegetables, pickled onions, and microgreens among the four waffles. Garnish with lemon zest and serve warm.