A festive gourmet grilled cheese sandwich with pickled beets and arugula (photo © Aunt Nellie’s).
 A jar of Aunt Nellie’s pickled beets. They’re so versatile: Check out this recipe for balsamic chicken with pickled beets (photo © Easy Chicken Recipes).
 Baby arugula (photo © Good Eggs).
 Gruyere cheese (photo © Murray’s Cheese).
 Caramelized onions (photo © Pompeian Olive Oil | Facebook).
This red-and-green “Christmas” grilled cheese recipe is delicious on any day of the year, but we especially like it during the holiday season.
This gourmet grilled cheese with AuntNellies.com is seasonally colorful comfort food with caramelized onions, gooey melted cheese, and toasted sourdough, accented with tangy red pickled beets and spicy green arugula.
RECIPE: GOURMET GRILLED CHEESE WITH PICKLED BEETS
Ingredients For 4 Sandwiches
For The Caramelized Onions
Editor’s note: These caramelized onions are so delicious that we make a triple batch to have extras to enjoy with every other meal, from breakfast eggs through dinner.
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 large yellow onions, halved, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1-2tablespoons water (optional)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 large sourdough slices, 1/2-inch thick
1/3 cup mayonnaise
4 ounces fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
8 ounces shredded Guyère cheese, at room temperature
1 jar Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Pickled Beets (about 32 beets)
2 cups baby arugula
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Ingredients For The Sandwich
1. MAKE the caramelized onions: In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt the butter and olive oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium.
2. COOK until the onions are caramelized and rich, deep golden brown, about 25 minutes, stirring often. Turn the heat to medium-low or add water if onions are dry or start to scorch before caramelizing.
3. ADD the sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute. The onions should be jammy and darkly caramelized when done. Remove them to a plate to cool.
4. MAKE the sandwiches: Spread out the bread slices on a flat surface. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice.
5. TURN 4 of the bread slices over and spread goat cheese on the plain side. Top the goat cheese with Gruyère, an even layer of beets, caramelized onions, and arugula. Top with the remaining bread, mayo side out. Secure with toothpicks, if desired.
6. MELT 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add two sandwiches, cover, and grill until the bottom of the bread is toasted, about 5-7 minutes, and cheese starts melting. Check often.
7. FLIP and cook, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the bread is toasted. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
Beer Battered Grilled Cheese & Bacon Sandwich
Blackberry Grilled Cheese
Brie, Strawberries & Balsamic Grilled Cheese
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
Dessert Grilled Cheese Recipes
Four Pages Of Grilled Cheese Recipes
Gourmet Grilled Cheese
Grilled Cheese Benedict
Grilled Cheese With Mozzarella, Blue Cheese & Raspberries
Halloumi Reverse Grilled Cheese Sandwich
How To Make The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Lobster Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Macaroni & Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Mascarpone Grilled Cheese With Chocolate Soup
Pizza Grilled Cheese
Poutine Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Turkey, Tilsit & Brussel Sprouts Grilled Cheese
MORE GRILLED CHEESE RECIPES